The Leith Neighbourhood Partnership is gearing up for the next “Week Of Action”. This time they’re going to target the area bounded by Leith Walk, Easter Road, London Road and Dalmeny Street. Both Dalmeny Street and Montgomery Street Parks will be included during the Week. The focus of the week is on Anti social behavior, cleanliness and green space improvements.
Here’s the ever growing list of events and intitiatives that the Week of Action will entail:
- Graffiti removal from public property, and on private property, where owners give permission.
- A litter pick at Montgomery Street Park, along with repainting the substations to cover graffiti
- Litter pick at Dalmeny Street Park.
- Advice and help available from the Edinburgh Stair Partnership for groups of owners who want to carry out common repairs or improve security in their stair.
- Extra Environmental Wardens on patrol to tackle dog fouling and litter.
- Trade Waste checks of businesses by Environmental Wardens
- Removal of dumped rubbish and general tidying up of streets and open spaces.
- A drop in surgery at McDonald Road Library
- High visibility patrols by Police and Community Safety Officers, with an antisocial behaviour focus in the evenings.
- CCTV van patrols.
- A leaflet drop to about 3000 homes with leaflets on crime prevention, fire safety, community safety and the Neighbourhood Partnership
- A bike theft crime prevention initiative – bikes in stairs will have leaflets attached to them
- Bike checks on arterial routes – Police will give advice to responsible cyclists, while stolen bikes will be identified and action taken
- Police checks on vans and lorries for roadworthiness
- 80-100 business crime prevention surveys will be offered to businesses in the area.
- Crime prevention and fire safety surveys will be offered to homeowners.
- DVLA will patrol for untaxed vehicles.
- Alcohol test purchasing will take place for sales to underage young people.
- Patrols by the Police Mounted Section.
- The Police Search and Recovery section will carry out checks for stolen property.
- A double parking operation – this will include the removal of double parked vehicles (tbc)
- Police enforcement of outstanding warrants across the area.
- Unmarked cycle patrols in the area.
- Council Licensing Standards Officers will be checking on licensed premises.
- The Police and Community Safety Teams will be at the Parklife event on 6 June, which has been organised by the Friends of Dalmeny Street Park. We hope to provide the mobile football pitch, Police vans, a bouncy castle and face painters, balloons and a special visit by two Wombles.
At the Parklife event on the 6th of June, Greener Leith is working with the Friends of Dalmeny Street Park to fund a free bicycle repair workshop and the Northshore trials skills workshops from The Bike Station to the park. This means that you can get your bike serviced for free, and if you fancy improving your bike skills there’ll be trained staff there to help you practice some stunts!
There’ll also be the opportunity to find out more about the City Car Club – with guided tours of one of the car club cars, direct from the Car Club staff.
We’re also looking for volunteers to help us out on our stall at the Park Life event. If you can help – get in touch.