Contractors working on the conversion of the former Leith Waterworld into a softplay centre have been accused of leaving an “unsightly danger” of dumped materials outside the building.
Simon Shields was among those to raise concerns the council more than a week ago, when he tweeted a series of photos to officials on November 22.
Despite concerns over the site, local officials wouldn’t make a public comment on whether the site complied with safety rules.
The Leith Neighbourhood Partnership did send Environmental Wardens around and two days later had apparently accepted the contractors excuses for the state of the site. Workers seemingly told the wardens that there was nothing they could do about the rubbish as their skip could not be moved whilst the Leith Walk roadworks were preventing access.
— CityCentreLeith Team (@CityCentreLeith) November 25, 2014
Nevertheless, this hasn’t prevented others raising further complaints in the meantime.
On Fixmystreet.com, some six days later, Lauren Sweeney reported the same site to the council. The photo shows that little effort had been made to improve safety on the site.
In her complaint she said the state of the site was attracting further dumping: “Former Leith Waterworld building site has piles of site rubbish and rubble on the pavement outside presenting an unsightly danger to people and animals. The skip is over-full and has been for some time. It is attracting further rubbish to be dumped on top by passers by.”
Despite these complaints, it reportedly took until today, the 2nd of December, before the contractors took any action to tidy the site.
Even now, it seems the site is far from satisfactory.
— Chas Booth (@CllrChasBooth) December 2, 2014
The property company that now own the former Leith Waterworld site, A&G Property Group, have been contacted for comment. We’ll update this post if, or when, we get it.